Introducing multimedia assignments into a class for the first time can seem intimidating. Scalar is a free, open source authoring and publishing platform designed to make it easy for authors and instructors to create born-digital scholarship online. It enables users to assemble media from multiple sources and juxtapose them with their own writing in a variety of ways, with minimal technical expertise required.
In this workshop, which is focused on adapting existing course assignments, we will help you:
- Map existing learning objectives to a new Scalar assignment through backwards design principles
- Understand Scalar's affordances and key features to ensure that using the platform will strengthen the assignment
- Sign up for Harvard's Scalar installation
- Learn how to set up a Scalar book, add and annotate media and writing, and more
- Plan how to introduce Scalar or other technologies in a course
- Develop a strategy to assess digital assignments
This workshop is aimed at Harvard faculty, TFs, and teaching staff.